Church-based charity

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Church-based charity

Postby spongebob » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:17 pm

I've heard it argued by many a conservative that the government should get out of the charity business and we should leave that up to charitable organizations; some even go so far as to suggest that this responsibility belongs solely to churches. I even heard one chap on TV arguing about the Clinton Foundation, a non-profit organization that does numerous charitable services around the globe, suggesting that the foundation should be "shut down" because it was up to churches to do that work. But why do people believe this? Churches don't have remotely enough capacity to serve all the needs of the poor. Even if they did have the job completely, they would likely be extremely selective in who they helped and require religious tests for both workers and those needing help. And why on earth should church organizations only be the only charity organizations? There are thousands of foundations that serve needs that are not religious in nature. What would be the point in closing these down? Churches do serve the poor on a scale they can muster, but quite often we hear of abuses and scandals just like the ones we have in any other foundation or the government, so what makes Christians or conservatives believe they can do the job any better?
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Re: Church-based charity

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:19 pm

Good question(s)!

Seems to me this is real Moonwood territory, pulling historical references together on things like sanctuary (protection from government) and workhouses, orphanages, etc.

In the USA, churches were granted all sorts of special privileges -- land sold to them for a pittance, tax-free status, holding their books private, etc, due to the fact that they were supposed to be the leaders in charity (Pro/Con link). Hospitals, halfway homes etc were all supposed to come out of the largess of charity spending based on donations, and the relief of tax burdens to these organizations.

I'll leave it to the readers to decide how well the churches carried out their side of that bargain or whether they used these exemptions to feather their own nests...

Ahem... Creflo Dollar and Dollars.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Return to Politics