Electoral College.

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Electoral College.

Postby Clare » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:06 am

The Electoral College is a relic of a bygone age, and isn't necessary now. It's the fucking appendix of American democracy, and needs to be removed. Just like voting on Tuesday, and Citizens United. If people want to help eliminate corruption, these three things are a great start. Anything that acts as a buffer between the political and corporate classes, and the public, needs to be eliminated.
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Re: Electoral College.

Postby Jesus Raves » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:24 pm

Wow, Clare, you're starting to sound like a downright leftist.
Jesus Raves

Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Postby Clare » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:48 pm

Jesus Raves wrote:Wow, Clare, you're starting to sound like a downright leftist.

I've actually never been solely politically left, right or in the middle. I support whoever and whatever makes the most sense.
Clare

Postby Tim-the-Hermit » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:56 am

I read somewhere that Clinton got more votes than Trump, (but narrowly,) yet that isn't reflected in the final result. Can that be through anything but gerrymandering?

Still, this is the biggest example of electoral self-harm possibly in the history of the world. Those 'left behind' didn't just damage themselves but damaged those even further back in the queue. Maybe that shows that the rich and powerful have perfected divide and rule, and so that is the thing that needs changing. Assuming that there is even the will to do so.
Tim-the-Hermit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: soft atheist

Postby spongebob » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:49 am

Tim, I don't think the electoral college results represent any sort of irregularities, but rather just the same thing we saw in the Bush-Gore election. Democratic states favored the Democrat more than some Republican states favored the Republican, and even that was pretty narrow. Gore actually received a larger lead in popular votes than Hillary did in her election. My opinion is that this electoral college system should be abandoned but that isn't likely to happen in my lifetime, or ever because...

This election has solidified one thing in my mind; that the USA is definitely headed for destruction. Every indicator is on track for further fragmentation and anarchy; the very same things that tore apart European states in the last century and that is ripping Great Britain apart now. As more and more people move to the extremes of the two political ideologies, the issues will continue to become more and more contentious. I seriously doubt the full 50 state USA will celebrate it's 300th birthday on 2076. Remnants will exist, calling themselves different things, and it could be anywhere from 2 - 8 different countries. The turn of the 22nd century will not know a United States as we know it, but something quite different and unless I'm misreading many, many queues, China will be the next world super power that will dictate the world's path for the next few centuries.

Good bye America, RIP. It was good while it lasted. :cry:
Man is a credulous animal, and must believe something; in the absence of good grounds for belief, he will be satisfied with bad ones.
~Bertrand Russell

:spongeb:
spongebob

Affiliation: Humanist - Bright

Postby Tim-the-Hermit » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:21 pm

It's certainly looking bleak, isn't it, Sponge? We can only hope you're wrong.

I keep thinking of that Chinese curse (there's an irony) : 'May you live in interesting times.' We sure are at the moment.
Tim-the-Hermit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: soft atheist

Postby Aaron » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:23 pm

Love is our only hope.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby Rian » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 pm

Tim-the-Hermit wrote:I read somewhere that Clinton got more votes than Trump, (but narrowly,) yet that isn't reflected in the final result. Can that be through anything but gerrymandering?

She got slightly more in the popular votes, but our presidents are elected via our Electoral College system, and it was entirely normal and legal. It's happened 5 times, I think, that the president didn't get the most popular votes, but there's nothing illegal about that. The EC was developed for various reasons when our country was new, but it's still our legal system, and in the vast majority of cases, the president wins both the actual popular vote and the electoral college vote. But the EC vote is the only one that counts.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Postby Clare » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:30 pm

The Electoral College is bullshit.
Clare

Postby Rian » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:31 pm

I don't think we need it anymore, but it was a good idea back in the day, IMO.
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
Rian

Postby Clare » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Back in the day, sure. But, it should be removed now.
Clare

Postby Rian » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:34 pm

Go for it!

Rian

Postby Clare » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:38 pm

It's just one of the things that needs to be done.
Clare

Postby Jesus Raves » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:12 pm

I think Rian is encouraging you to engage in less talk and more action. You're saying it should be done, but you're not offering solutions. Sure, pointing out the problem is useful, but repeatedly pointing out the problem and doing nothing else becomes pointless.
Jesus Raves

Affiliation: Anti-Labelist

Postby Clare » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:22 pm

I don't work in the Government but there is something myself and others have done. See below.

https://actionsprout.io/39C3FE?source=share

So, this is less of a petition for removing the electoral college, and more of a petition to encourage all states to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact which requires state electors to vote the popular vote in the state. Which is easier to do than amending the constitution.
Clare

Next

Return to Politics