Fair response to Corbyn on terrorism?

Callers to action, creators of Superpacs, and championers of causes great and small unite! Air all your political thoughts here. Whitened teeth, dyed hair, and spray-on tans not required but preferred.

Fair response to Corbyn on terrorism?

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Sat May 27, 2017 1:45 am

We will also change what we do abroad. Many experts, including professionals in our intelligence and security services have pointed to the connections between wars our government has supported or fought in other countries, such as Libya, and terrorism here at home.

That assessment in no way reduces the guilt of those who attack our children. Those terrorists will forever be reviled and implacably held to account for their actions.

Those causes certainly cannot be reduced to foreign policy decisions alone. Over the past fifteen years or so, a sub-culture of often suicidal violence has developed amongst a tiny minority of, mainly young, men, falsely drawing authority from Islamic beliefs and often nurtured in a prison system in urgent need of resources and reform. And no rationale based on the actions of any government can remotely excuse, or even adequately explain, outrages like this week’s massacre. But we must be brave enough to admit the war on terror is simply not working. We need a smarter way to reduce the threat from countries that nurture terrorists and generate terrorism.

Jeremy Corbyn
“Jeremy Corbyn has said that terror attacks in Britain are our own fault,”

Theresa May
Read Corbyn's full speech here https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/jeremy-corbyns-speech-terrorism-full-transcript/#
People on these forums may be aware that I share Corbyn's view. This has been a point of debate between SEG and myself on many occasions.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Re: Fair response to Corbyn on terrorism?

Postby Aaron » Sat May 27, 2017 8:40 am

I agree that the war on terrorism is certainly fuel for the fire. And disillusioned purposeless young men are easy prey for wanting to take on a cause, whatever it may be. It's a bad combination.

I wonder though what the right approach is. I'm thinking of nations in Africa who have seen a lot of conflict, particularly when you have Islamic governments or factions. Do you think they would cease? I think there are others drivers than just a war on terror: poverty, instability, anything where you could have discontentment and a sense of hopelessness among the population and you will create a vacuum where as I said disillusioned purposeless young men can be easily led into fighting for a cause that they feel gives them purpose and meaning and a promise for something better.

That's what I'm thinking at the moment anyway.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Re: Fair response to Corbyn on terrorism?

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Sat May 27, 2017 11:42 am

Yes, the war on terror has made things worse but it didn't start the fire. The relationship between Islam and the West has been problematic for decades and longer. Andy Burnham the mayor of Manchester said yesterday
Obviously, the actions of governments can then contribute and help the terrorists to add to their cause, but let’s remember that the appalling atrocity of 9/11 happened before interventions anywhere.
and frankly that's silly. Interventions by the West in the Islamic world did not start in the wake of 9/11. In a speech given just after 9/11 Osama Bin Laden talked about the humiliation Islam had suffered for more tan 80 years. He was looking back to the defeat of the sultanate in 1918 by the British, to the first gulf war and everything in between. The idea that before 9/11 the Western nations left Muslims alone and did not interfere in Islamic politics is just plain wrong.

You have to remember that a lot of the problems in Africa are the consequence of the colonial era when the nations were created to suit the needs of the conquerors. And yes religion, Christianity, played a role in that.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Return to Politics