Personalities

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Personalities

Postby Aaron » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:12 pm

This is directed at Moonwood, but of course anyone else is welcome to contribute. I recently took a 16 personality test and found out I was placed as an INTJ type personality, after reading the traits of an INTJ I was stunned at how accurate I felt it was, much more so than any kind of personality test I've done in the past. Do you place much stock in these types of tests? Have you found them to be useful? Thanks.

Here's the website that I took the test on if anyone is curious. It's free of course. ;)

https://www.16personalities.com/
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Re: Personalities

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:53 pm

This test is based on the Myers Briggs test which in turn is based on Jung's personality theory. So there are two sets of issues: 1. problems with Jung 2.Problems with Myers and Briggs adaptation with Jung.

Jung is obsessed with the number 4 thee fore he thinks there are four basic functions - that works fairly well but it would perhaps be better to see empirically how many functions there are rather than assume that number must fit what we find. Jung would argue that the reason we find fourfold symbols in various mythologies is because of the four functions but people have generally not thought in terms of these functions. However the four functions do seem to correspond to the four divisions of the neo-cortex so there is a physiological base for this. The functions mostly make sense with the possible exception of feeling. Jung sees feeling as a conscious judging function in order to establish a parallel with thinking. However feeling or valuing is almost certainly a function of the organismic totality and not simply of the conscious ego. Some people may be more aware of their feelings at a conscious level but it is hard to think of feeling as primarily a conscious act of judgement.

Myers Briggs is a little wobbly on the role of introversion and extraversion. It sees functions within the person being introverted or extraverted. In fact it makes more sense to see each person being somewhere on a scale between extreme introversion and extreme extraversion. This corresponds to required levels of cortical stimulus - for example my cousin who is very extraverted works in ER. It also takes noaccount of the possibility of people living against type as Jung proposes so sometimes it gets people dead wrong. http://www.benziger.org/the-btsa-Physiological-Foundations.html

You are the same type as C S Lewis most likely was.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby Aaron » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:34 pm

Thanks Moonwood, that was interesting. At the very least it has helped me to be more self aware, I was on a trip this weekend and I was more aware of how I reacted to things.

All this though has brought up an interesting question in my mind. I agree with you that it is better to fit models to the empirical data rather than the empirical data to models. However, this is limited in an interesting way for humans, for we might certainly be able to come up with a model which is very descriptively accurate, but it focuses only on how I operate, it does ask questions about how I should act and that I think is of much greater interest for the human being who is living their life. Yes, it is good and helpful to understand oneself, but it is something else entirely to think about how I want to act.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby marcuspnw » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I took the test and based on it, my personality type is INFJ-A. I don't usually put much stock in these kind of evaluations. But whether this test is designed for it, I want my wife to assess my personality from her perspective and
see if she comes to the same conclusion about my type. Now that could be fun.
Another day, another step closer to the answer. How many more steps do I have I wonder?
marcuspnw
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Atheist

Return to General discussion