Quislings and Christian Enablers.

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Re: Quislings and Christian Enablers.

Postby captain howdy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:28 pm

humanguy wrote:
searchengineguy wrote:
Clare wrote:Some atheists on this forum are affected by a particularly nasty form of tribalism that discourages anyone they consider one of "their own" from asking certain questions, or offering critiques of another member of the tribe. It's considered fraternizing with the enemy, and you'll be branded a "quisling" and "enabler".

Newbies, you have been warned.

- "The Enemy"

Maybe they can have a schism and form a sect of their own. This is my suggestion: "Sacred Heart of The Quislings and Christian Enablers"

How does an atheist enable Christians? Enable them to do what? This is a question no one has ever answered. Clare, am I enabling you? If so, what am I enabling you to do?

I think the proper charge isn't enabling. Trolling would be more like it. You're trolling the atheists not to make a case one way or another but rather just to get a rise out of them, which is sort of weird coming from someone who describes himself as an atheist, that's all. You seem like more of a spectator in any case, so if you are "enabling" I don't really care. But that's just me.
I must be getting paranoid. Everyone else sees Juggalos. I see Trump Youth
captain howdy

Affiliation: a-theist

Postby humanguy » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:08 pm

captain howdy wrote:
humanguy wrote:

How does an atheist enable Christians? Enable them to do what? This is a question no one has ever answered. Clare, am I enabling you? If so, what am I enabling you to do?

I think the proper charge isn't enabling. Trolling would be more like it. You're trolling the atheists not to make a case one way or another but rather just to get a rise out of them, which is sort of weird coming from someone who describes himself as an atheist, that's all. You seem like more of a spectator in any case, so if you are "enabling" I don't really care. But that's just me.

Thank you for telling me what my "proper charge" should be. I'm calling my lawyer in the morning.
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby Clare » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:46 pm

searchengineguy wrote:
humanguy wrote:How does an atheist enable Christians? Enable them to do what? This is a question no one has ever answered. Clare, am I enabling you? If so, what am I enabling you to do?

By taking their side in preference to the atheist position

^ This is a great example of tribalism, and definitely not an example of enabling, and humanguy criticizing or questioning other atheists's viewpoints is not taking the side of Christians. I would love to see an explanation from SEG for why it is. SEG, I'd say there's a difference between enabling and straight up taking their side. It didn't go unnoticed that you shifted the accusation from Christian enabler all the way to "taking their side" because you couldn't back up the accusation of enabling. And, to answer your question hg, no, and I'd also like an answer to that question.

captainhowdy wrote:I think the proper charge isn't enabling. Trolling would be more like it. You're trolling the atheists not to make a case one way or another but rather just to get a rise out of them, which is sort of weird coming from someone who describes himself as an atheist, that's all. You seem like more of a spectator in any case, so if you are "enabling" I don't really care. But that's just me.

Trolling how? And, how are you certain of that intent? Do you advocate for group-think?
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby searchengineguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am

humanguy wrote:Thanks, Moon, I ordered it.

I've heard the hardcover version is a bargain at $765!
Frisbeetarianism: is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
- George Carlin.
searchengineguy

Affiliation: Strict Atheist

Postby captain howdy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:42 am

humanguy wrote:
captain howdy wrote:
humanguy wrote:

Thank you for telling me what my "proper charge" should be. I'm calling my lawyer in the morning.

Don't bother. She's already responded.
captain howdy

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 am

humanguy wrote:
humanguy wrote:
Moonwood the Hare wrote:
I'm looking for it, so far no luck.

In here https://www.amazon.com/Carl-Rogers-Reader-R/dp/0094698406/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1502566044&sr=1-2&keywords=the+carl+rogers+reader but its an easy book to find more cheaply or in a library. Rogers was brought up in a strict Christian family and was going to be a clergyman but changed his mind as he did not want to follow a profession that committed him to not changing his ideas.

Thanks, Moon, I ordered it.

I hope you enjoy it. The stuff about his early life and Christian upbringing is interesting as well since in many ways his whole approach is a reaction against that.
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby humanguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:31 am

captain howdy wrote:
humanguy wrote:
captain howdy wrote:

Don't bother. She's already responded.

Maybe I should be trolling the Christians just to get a rise out of them. Would that restore my status to "true atheist?"
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Postby captain howdy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:09 am

I wouldn't bother really. There's rumors you're being traded.
captain howdy

Postby Moonwood the Hare » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:02 pm

searchengineguy wrote:

You get this nonsense on Amazon. I've seen stuff I own on sale for 100s. But this one second hand is much cheaper in the UK. I wonder if anything I own really is worth anything?
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.
Moonwood the Hare

Affiliation: Christian - pretty traditional

Postby humanguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:37 pm

searchengineguy wrote:

So? You've already told us that you can easily afford that.
humanguy

Postby Clare » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:06 pm

captainhowdy wrote:I think the proper charge isn't enabling. Trolling would be more like it. You're trolling the atheists not to make a case one way or another but rather just to get a rise out of them, which is sort of weird coming from someone who describes himself as an atheist, that's all. You seem like more of a spectator in any case, so if you are "enabling" I don't really care. But that's just me.

Trolling how? And, how are you certain of that intent? Do you advocate for group-think?
Clare

Affiliation: Catholic

Postby TimONeill » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:21 pm

searchengineguy wrote:
humanguy wrote:How does an atheist enable Christians? Enable them to do what? This is a question no one has ever answered. Clare, am I enabling you? If so, what am I enabling you to do?

By taking their side in preference to the atheist position

"The atheist position"? An atheist is simply someone who is without a belief in any God or gods. Nothing more. So can you explain how accepting the consensus that Christianity was founded by a historical Jewish preacher, Yeshua bar Yosef of Nazareth, is somehow "against the atheist position"?

Try logic over emotional and irrational blurting, for a change.
TimONeill
resident
resident

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Simplyme » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:37 pm

captain howdy wrote:I wouldn't bother really. There's rumors you're being traded.

Shit...there goes my league. :-D
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby humanguy » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:38 pm

Simplyme wrote:
captain howdy wrote:I wouldn't bother really. There's rumors you're being traded.

You like it here, don't you?
humanguy

Postby Simplyme » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:40 pm

humanguy wrote:
Simplyme wrote:

You like it here, don't you?

Here, as in "on my sofa laying down"? YES
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion