Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Carico » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:27 pm

Aaron wrote:Jesus did not go around speaking out against all the prostitues and other lowly sinners of his day, why aren't you following his example? I keep hearing this. It seems I should be tolerant just like Jesus was. I have to disagree with this 100 percent. Yes Jesus would mingle with people such as those but they knew, everyone knew, what they were doing was wrong. He was showing all that his gift was not just for the "religious" it was for everyone. His goal was never to make thier sin seem less like sin, it was to reveal it completely for what it was and then offer the incredible gift of forgiveness. Still not convinced? Take a look at Jesus' reaction in the temple. He knew what they were doing was wrong, but they thought it was okay. Notice he didn't show them the same comforting shoulder he showed all those horrible sinners. He made it very clear that what they were doing was wrong, he left no room for uncertainty. I think Jesus would do the same in our generation. It always seems that Jesus stands for the exact opposite of what the world stands for. Yeah I think he would be at the forefront making sure people understood homosexuality was wrong, along with adultery, stealing music, not lying, not putting people ahead of material things, porn and many other things. Yet I suspect he would be the first to forgive a terrorist, a rapist, a child molester or a wife beater.


Of course Jesus would condemn homosexuality because Jesus is the Word. The Word comes from God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, and thus, God the Son. He also said; "What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."

So the secular world isn't doing any favors to homosexuals by leading them straight on the path to hell.
Carico
 

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Rian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:56 pm

tirtlegrrl wrote: I've noticed this too, to the point where I described the site's forum to a friend as a place where a Christian posts an idea or takes the bait in some other post and then get mobbed by everyone who disagrees. (Watch out for rian--she mobs back, all by herself!! That's a compliment, rian.)
LOL! Thanks! I love it! :)
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
User avatar
Rian
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 4431
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Arizona, USA ... for now ...
Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Rian » Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:58 pm

Tim-the-Hermit wrote:Rian, I don't understand why anybody would vote against giving gay people the same rights as everybody else.
Are you claiming that currently, in the laws of our respective countries, anyone has the right to marry anyone else?
"Aurë entuluva! Auta i lómë!" ("Day shall come again! The night is passing!") -- from JRR Tolkien's The Silmarillion

Christianity is the red pill - go for it! Seek the truth, wherever it leads you.
User avatar
Rian
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 4431
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:36 pm
Location: Arizona, USA ... for now ...
Affiliation: Christian/truth-seeker

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Salwinder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:34 am

Carico wrote:
Of course Jesus would condemn homosexuality because Jesus is the Word. The Word comes from God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, and thus, God the Son. He also said; "What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight."

So the secular world isn't doing any favors to homosexuals by leading them straight on the path to hell.



You do realise that what you've said makes no sense whatsoever? Did you even read Scott's post above before spouting this nonsense? How does "What is highly valued among men is detestable in God's sight." in your head translate into "Homosexuality is a sin condemned by Jesus"? And it particularly irks me when people like you come up with meaningless phrases like "....because Jesus is the Word" as if somehow this explains anything at all. Can you instead direct us to any PRESCRIPTIVE passage from the New Testament which unequivocally condemns homosexuality? This is yet another example of certain Christians misusing the Bible to peddle their inate hatred of whatever their pastor tells them is evil.
Salwinder
resident
resident
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire, England
Affiliation: Atheist

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Tim-the-Hermit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:35 am

Rian wrote:
Tim-the-Hermit wrote:Rian, I don't understand why anybody would vote against giving gay people the same rights as everybody else.
Are you claiming that currently, in the laws of our respective countries, anyone has the right to marry anyone else?


Sorry if I wasn’t clear, Rian, I wasn’t making any claim, just asking a question. I don’t understand why anybody would vote against giving gay couples the same right to marry as heterosexual couples. It would not affect them in any way but it would affect others adversely. Just because somebody has the right to believe something does not mean that it is fair and reasonable for them to impose that belief on others. I’m not a fan of analogy, but it is a bit like me saying that my neighbour cannot paint her kitchen yellow because I believe that it is wrong for people to paint their kitchens yellow. It has nothing to do with me.
A bird in hand is worth two burning bushes.
Tim-the-Hermit
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 508
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Wales, UK.
Affiliation: stuck on the fence.

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Carico » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:32 am

Tim-the-Hermit wrote:
Rian wrote:
Tim-the-Hermit wrote:Rian, I don't understand why anybody would vote against giving gay people the same rights as everybody else.
Are you claiming that currently, in the laws of our respective countries, anyone has the right to marry anyone else?


Sorry if I wasn’t clear, Rian, I wasn’t making any claim, just asking a question. I don’t understand why anybody would vote against giving gay couples the same right to marry as heterosexual couples. It would not affect them in any way but it would affect others adversely. Just because somebody has the right to believe something does not mean that it is fair and reasonable for them to impose that belief on others. I’m not a fan of analogy, but it is a bit like me saying that my neighbour cannot paint her kitchen yellow because I believe that it is wrong for people to paint their kitchens yellow. It has nothing to do with me.


Because by justifying the sin of homosexuality, you are leading homosexuals straight on the path to hell. So you are not helping them by leading them away from forgiveness, repentance, and salvation. One cannot receive forgiveness for something he doesn't admit is wrong. :(

But Satan's "love" gives people what they want...sin. Satan says, "Nothing will happen to you if you break God's laws and indulge in the desires of the flesh. Come...follow me." :smt005 Yeah, straight into the fires of hell.

So enticing people to sin is not love, it's hate.
Carico
 

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:44 am

Carico wrote:Because by justifying the sin of homosexuality, you are leading homosexuals straight on the path to hell. So you are not helping them by leading them away from forgiveness, repentance, and salvation. One cannot receive forgiveness for something he doesn't admit is wrong. :(

You know, the Bible is quite clear that when you muse about who will go to Heaven and who will go to Hell, you demean Christ's sacrifice.

Carico wrote:But Satan's "love" gives people what they want...sin. Satan says, "Nothing will happen to you if you break God's laws and indulge in the desires of the flesh. Come...follow me." :smt005 Yeah, straight into the fires of hell.

And the Bible also says that if you subject yourself to the laws of the flesh (what you call "God's laws"), you will die with your flesh. "Since you have died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why do you still submit to its rules?"
User avatar
Penguin
resident
resident
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Toronto-ish, Canada
Affiliation: Atheist/Humanist

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Carico » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:58 am

Penguin wrote:
Carico wrote:Because by justifying the sin of homosexuality, you are leading homosexuals straight on the path to hell. So you are not helping them by leading them away from forgiveness, repentance, and salvation. One cannot receive forgiveness for something he doesn't admit is wrong. :(

You know, the Bible is quite clear that when you muse about who will go to Heaven and who will go to Hell, you demean Christ's sacrifice.

Carico wrote:But Satan's "love" gives people what they want...sin. Satan says, "Nothing will happen to you if you break God's laws and indulge in the desires of the flesh. Come...follow me." :smt005 Yeah, straight into the fires of hell.

And the Bible also says that if you subject yourself to the laws of the flesh (what you call "God's laws"), you will die with your flesh. "Since you have died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why do you still submit to its rules?"


Sorry but Jesus tells us to watch our for wolves in sheep's clothing so we can know who our enemy is and who are friends are. "By their fruits you will recognize them."

1 John 2:22 also tells us :Who is the liar? It's the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ."

So you better make sure you know the bible well before you claim to quote it. When you quote a book you do not believe, then you defeat your whole point is you just did because you're a house divided against itself which cannot stand. :|
Carico
 

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:06 am

Carico wrote:Sorry but Jesus tells us to watch our for wolves in sheep's clothing so we can know who our enemy is and who are friends are. "By their fruits you will recognize them."

And you've shown yourself to have some pretty rotten fruits, IMO. I've read enough of the Bible to know that any message devoid of love has missed the spirit of the teachings in it, and I see no love whatsoever in your posts here.

Carico wrote:1 John 2:22 also tells us :Who is the liar? It's the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ."

So you better make sure you know the bible well before you claim to quote it. When you quote a book you do not believe, then you defeat your whole point is you just did because you're a house divided against itself which cannot stand. :|

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain an idea without adopting it."

Calling attention to the conflicts and hypocrisy in your position does not defeat my point at all. And your ad-homs don't speak to the merits of my argument or the validity of the passages I mentioned. If you think I've misinterpreted them in some way, you're welcome to demonstrate why some other interpretation is correct.
User avatar
Penguin
resident
resident
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Toronto-ish, Canada
Affiliation: Atheist/Humanist

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Carico » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 am

Jesus called the Pharisees "Snakes" a Brood of vipers!" According to you, those are rotten fruits. The Pharisees thought so too which is one reason they killed him. :wink:

But since you don't know that real love (Christ's love) tells you the truth so you can repent and be saved throughout all eternity, then you will continue to seek Satan's "love" which condones sin so you can spend eternity with him in the fires of hell. It's your choice which kind of love you want. But I can guarantee you that your sinful nature will seek sin no matter what the price. :|So as long as you seek Satan's "love" you will reject Christ's love which Jesus tells us most of the world will do. And as always, the world proves Him right. :-)
Carico
 

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby ScottBarger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:20 am

Carico,

Welcome to the forum.

Is it being gay that is a sin or having gay sex that is a sin? How do you know it is a sin (from which passage of the Bible have you drawn that conclusion)?
User avatar
ScottBarger
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 am

Carico wrote:Jesus called the Pharisees "Snakes" a Brood of vipers!" According to you, those are rotten fruits. The Pharisees thought so too which is one reason they killed him. :wink:

But since you don't know that real love (Christ's love) tells you the truth so you can repent and be saved throughout all eternity, then you will continue to seek Satan's "love" which condones sin so you can spend eternity with him in the fires of hell. It's your choice which kind of love you want. But I can guarantee you that your sinful nature will seek sin no matter what the price. :|So as long as you seek Satan's "love" you will reject Christ's love which Jesus tells us most of the world will do. And as always, the world proves Him right. :-)

I reject what you call Christ's love, but it's neither love nor from Christ.
User avatar
Penguin
resident
resident
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Toronto-ish, Canada
Affiliation: Atheist/Humanist

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Carico » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:28 am

You first have to know and love Christ before you can make claims about who He is and what He says. So I take it, you love and adore Christ and His words but not those who love them as well. Is that correct? :lol: If so, then I trust you will follow Christ forever. :-) Or are you a house divided against itself. :shock: So which is it? :?
Carico
 

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby ScottBarger » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:38 am

I think Christian love should be more about :cheers: and :hug: and less about :mob:
User avatar
ScottBarger
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Would Jesus speak out against homosexuality today?

Postby Penguin » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:41 am

Carico wrote:You first have to know and love Christ before you can make claims about who He is and what He says. So I take it, you love and adore Christ and His words but not those who love them as well. Is that correct? :lol: If so, then I trust you will follow Christ forever. :-) Or are you a house divided against itself. :shock: So which is it? :?

False dilemma.

The Bible says what it says and can be read by anyone. If your position is Biblical, you'll be able to demonstrate how it can be supported with a valid interpretation of scripture.
User avatar
Penguin
resident
resident
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:23 pm
Location: Toronto-ish, Canada
Affiliation: Atheist/Humanist

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest