Carico

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Carico

Postby tirtlegrrl » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 pm

As I'm sure you've all noticed, Carico and I have been engaged in discussion on a large number of threads. In these discussions, she has repeatedly done the following:

1) Engaged in ad hominem arguments: "You don't have the Holy Spirit, so your interpretation is just wrong"

2) Presented false dichotomies: "Either the Gospels are inerrant or the writers lied" and refuses to address specific examples of contradictions in the text

3) Presumed to know what complete strangers believed as children "You only thought you believed in Jesus"

4) Refused to acknowledge or address specific points in favor of generalizations and name-calling (throws out one bible verse, sometimes taken out of context, and calls me ignorant)

5) Replied to genuine concerns about the character of God in the Bible not with considered rebuttal, but with intolerance, telling me that if I find God inconsistent or unattractive morally than I can just go to Hell

6) Once she refused my offer to go over a particular passage IN THE GREEK (my sister is a religious studies major and can help me with this) to determine the actual meaning, instead preferring to tell me that I'm reading it the wrong way on purpose because I want to go to Hell

Carico makes a big deal about the Holy Spirit's indwelling. According to Galatians, "The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Carico shows very little sign of these; her tone is predominantly sarcastic, condescending, arrogant, defensive, and rude. In addition, she makes BIZARRELY incorrect statements about biology, such as:

1) Animals, including obligate carnivores, could live on plants, like omnivorous humans
2) Human males have one fewer rib than human females.

When corrected on one of these points she ignores it, harps on a different point and makes rude generalizations about atheists.

You're going on my foe list, carico! I warned you. If you're following the adage "love your neighbor as yourself", you must hate yourself a lot. I feel sorry for you. Peace.
The larger a believer's God, the more the believer resembles an agnostic. My God is very big.
User avatar
tirtlegrrl
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Affiliation: Whatever is both true AND good

Re: Carico

Postby Carico » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:12 pm

Sorry but I've got scripture to back me up on all counts.

1 Corinthians 2:14
John 1:1-2
2 Timothy 3:16
John 10:28
John 3:16-18
Matthew 23

And the fact that you haven't backed up your claim that men and women have the same number of ribs. So since i agree with God on all counts and you disagree with God on ALL counts, then you don't have a leg to stand on. Romans 8:31, "When God is for us, who can be against us?" No one because no one has power over us except God. You've got nothing, not even a knowledge of Jewish history. So you're the one to be pitied. Sorry. :(
Carico
 

Re: Carico

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:21 pm

Carico wrote: men and women have the same number of ribs.


:roll:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Courses/bio105/ribs.htm
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... ms_rib.asp
http://creationwiki.org/(Talk.Origins)_Men_have_fewer_ribs_than_women

Even the creationists are smarter than you. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Previous book: The Stranger by Albert Camus & Descarte's Error by Antonio Damasio
Current book: In Praise of Slow by Carl Honore & Self Comes to Mind by Antonio Damasio
Next book: Voltaire's Bastards by John Ralson Saul
User avatar
Lawrence
veteran
veteran
 
Posts: 753
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 4:53 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Affiliation: Agnostic

Re: Carico

Postby Carico » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Carico wrote: men and women have the same number of ribs.


:roll:

http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Courses/bio105/ribs.htm
http://www.answersingenesis.org/creatio ... ms_rib.asp
http://creationwiki.org/(Talk.Origins)_Men_have_fewer_ribs_than_women

Even the creationists are smarter than you. :lol: :lol: :lol:


Well let's see, here's what I know that atheists don't:

1) That God created the universe and all living things
2) that God created the earth out of water and why He created it out of water
3) How long it took God to create the earth and why it took Him that amount of time
4) What sin is
5) Why we need a redeemer
6) Who our ancestors are
7) Knowledge of Jewish history
8) what happens after we die
9) Who goes to heaven and why
10) Who goes to hell and why
11) Who Jesus is
12) Why Jesus walked on earth
13) That all humans sin
14) What right and wrong is
15) The difference between good and evil
16) Why animals (especially imaginary animals) can't turn into people or breed human descendants
17) Why the 10 Commandments are the best way to live
18) What the old covenant and new covenant are
19) Why Christianity is waning in the world
20) Why the Arabs and Jews will always fight each other
21) Why atheists can't believe the bible
22) Why scientists aren't trustworthy


That's just the tip of the iceberg of what I know that atheists don't know. So when you find something I don't know, I'm sure that makes you happy. :-)
Carico
 

Re: Carico

Postby Aaron » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:37 pm

Carico,

I think you could improve much in the way you carry yourself. You quote 1 Corinthians 2:14 which basically says people who don't know Christ will not understand the things a Christian believes, yet you go on to quote 2 Timothy 3:16 which as far as I can tell applies directly to people who are already Christians. A bold attitude such as the one you have now may possibly have a place among believers (maybe), but how can we expect someone who is lost in sin to respond to that kind of attitude? I think you could be much kinder when you defend your position. I think in doing so you would be much more effective than you are now. What about good old Peter... "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander" - 1 Peter 3:15-16 That is my stance.

P.S. Its okay to admit you're wrong... umm... ribs... cough. It happens to everyone... :wink:
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
User avatar
Aaron
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:29 pm
Location: Alaska
Affiliation: Christian

Re: Carico

Postby ScottBarger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Did she really say that men don't have as many ribs as women? Or was that a joke?
User avatar
ScottBarger
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Carico

Postby tirtlegrrl » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:51 pm

It's in the "Trying to Change God" thread I believe.

carico wrote: Oh yes we do have evidence of genesis in the real world:

1) The sun gives light by day
2) The moon and stars provide light by night and are used to mark the seasons, months, and years
3) Each animal breeds its own kind
4) The flesh and bones of humans decay back into dust when humans die
5) Humans rule over the animals
6) Men have one less rib than women
7) God established the length of day and night by how long the sun gives light by day and we live by the 7 day week to this day.
The ancestors of humans are humans as the bible explains and as is demonstrated in the real world, not imaginary animals as the fairy tale of evolution says.

So sorry, but the bible can be confirmed by reality as well as history unlike the story of evolution which means there's no excuse to deny the bible...unless you live in the twilight zone where monkeys can turn into people.
The larger a believer's God, the more the believer resembles an agnostic. My God is very big.
User avatar
tirtlegrrl
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Affiliation: Whatever is both true AND good

Re: Carico

Postby ScottBarger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

Wow.
User avatar
ScottBarger
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1020
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Carico

Postby dunc289 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:46 pm

This flame war is hilarious.

Whilst I can sympathise with my theist, deist, and atheist buddies frustrations, Carico is really not doing anything wildly different from any other follower of the bible. Stating the scripture as fact. Why is this such a surprise? I read this sort of stuff to varying degrees in every other post here.

With the greatest respect Scott, your amazement at Carico's dogmatic theories on human physiology only mirrors mine at your continued belief in a "good" god, despite your heartfelt doubts about his actual good behaviour towards his christian followers, and the rest of us, in this world. At least Carico is not suffering from cognitive dissonance, she seems to be holding only the one idea in her head with no chance of contradiction. I've been trying to think of an atheist/ sceptical equivalent to her, and the best I can come up with is those morons who don't believe in the Apollo missions, despite all evidence to the contrary.

Sorry to single you out, but you're a tall poppy, and you made the mistake of speaking frankly and honestly to the great unwashed. As I've said before, if I was half the man you seem to be, I'd be pretty satisfied.
I apologise. My negative oafish Trolling can appear remarkable. I'm cunningly offensive.
dunc289
resident
resident
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 am
Location: LA
Affiliation: A-orbitalteapotist

Re: Carico

Postby Salwinder » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:37 am

The problem is not what Carico believes - the very reason I visit this site is to have dialogue with those with different world views. However there is no place for the continued threats of hellfire, abusive posting and absolute refusal to listen to others views and respond with respect or civility. I also have a problem with Carico's excessive posting - every thread is now dominated by Carico's antisocial and confrontative postings which is spoiling the site for everyone.

I fully understand the need to support the right to free expression, but it's got to the point now where other's right to a safe space to share their thoughts and feelings has been encroached upon. At the very least Carico needs to be warned about their conduct - after all this is supposed to be a place "where differences and respect co-exist"......
Salwinder
resident
resident
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Nottinghamshire, England
Affiliation: Atheist

Re: Carico

Postby Pseudonym » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:43 am

dunc289 wrote:Carico is really not doing anything wildly different from any other follower of the bible.

My mother taught me from a very young age that it's often not what you say, but the way you say it. It's often not what's done, but how it's done.

dunc289 wrote:At least Carico is not suffering from cognitive dissonance, [...]

As opposed to whom? (I'll wait for your answer before taking exception; you might be talking about someone I agree with, like a neocon.)
User avatar
Pseudonym
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1629
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Affiliation: Liberal Christian

Re: Carico

Postby dunc289 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:50 am

Carico is an alter ego I created as a straw man upon which you can all rally in group condemnation.

Obviously it's a lot of work for me to keep up this level of vitriol, but I'm sure you'll agree I've done a great job of uniting atheists and christians alike around a common purpose.

I AM CARICO!
I apologise. My negative oafish Trolling can appear remarkable. I'm cunningly offensive.
dunc289
resident
resident
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 am
Location: LA
Affiliation: A-orbitalteapotist

Re: Carico

Postby dunc289 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:59 am

Pseudonym wrote:As opposed to whom? (I'll wait for your answer before taking exception; you might be talking about someone I agree with, like a neocon.)


Well Scott, for example, has stated frequently that he cannot happily reconcile the god of the old and the new testament, yet continues to believe they are the same person, unchanging, infallable and just. Tony E and Carico do not have this problem.

If that is not cognitive dissonance, I apologise for my ignorance, but this was the concept I was getting at.
I apologise. My negative oafish Trolling can appear remarkable. I'm cunningly offensive.
dunc289
resident
resident
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Thu May 07, 2009 12:34 am
Location: LA
Affiliation: A-orbitalteapotist

Re: Carico

Postby tirtlegrrl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:22 am

Which should disturb us more?

1) The fact that you can create this character so convincingly; or
2) The fact that you got so many yuks out of yanking our chains?
The larger a believer's God, the more the believer resembles an agnostic. My God is very big.
User avatar
tirtlegrrl
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Affiliation: Whatever is both true AND good

Re: Carico

Postby tirtlegrrl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:24 am

On the other hand, it's probably the most impressive practical joke I've ever seen.
The larger a believer's God, the more the believer resembles an agnostic. My God is very big.
User avatar
tirtlegrrl
Senior member
Senior member
 
Posts: 1022
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:23 am
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Affiliation: Whatever is both true AND good

Next

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests

cron