Joseph of ...Arimathea?

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Joseph of ...Arimathea?

Postby searchengineguy » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:08 am

I was looking for more info on the forgotten tomb of Jesus and I had a look Joseph of Arimathea because Jesus was supposed to have been buried in his tomb. Most people would know of Joseph of Arimathea. He appears in all of the four gospels. He supposedly got that name because in Luke 23:51 “he came from the Judean town of Arimathea”.

So I looked it up, and it has never existed! Another bloody literary device! The name is derived from "Matheia" which is said to mean "disciple town" and "ari-" is a prefix for superiority. So Joseph ("coincidentally" the name of Jesus' father) a stranger not present at the crucifixion and a secret disciple came from Arimathea, a town that never existed. The other disciples abandoned him, so this secret disciple came from a Jewish town that means "Best Disciple Town". To further confound things, if he was a member of the council, the Sanhedrin, he voted to condemn Jesus to death!

In Mark 14 it says; Then the high priest tore his clothes, and said, What need have we of any further witnesses?

You have heard the blasphemy: what think you? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

If Jesus croaked it at 3pm, how did Joseph (where's his "real" dad anyway?);

1. Get permission from Pilate to grab his body
2. Get it down from the cross or the tree
3. Carry it to his tomb, where-ever that was
4. Find Nicodemus and buy 100 pounds of myrrh and aloes
6. Find a shroud and anoint it
7. Bury Jesus
8. Roll the great rock back over the entrance with no assistance

All before sundown?

Joseph of Arimathea then suspiciously vanishes after burying Jesus and is not mentioned again. WTF?
Frisbeetarianism: is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
- George Carlin.
searchengineguy

Affiliation: Strict Atheist

Return to General discussion