Current State Of The Forum

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

Current State Of The Forum

Postby ArchLich » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:41 pm

I've been absent for a while. I'm just wondering: Is it me, or does it seem like most of the Christians have gone inactive? I see plenty of atheists still active, but the only Christians I see regularly responding are Aaron, Clare, and Moonwood. This forum will die if there aren't enough members on both sides to continue interesting discussion/debate.
Knowledge is power, and is also limited to empirical perception. Irony.
ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Agnostic, Atheist

Re: Current State Of The Forum

Postby humanguy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:47 pm

ArchLich wrote:I've been absent for a while. I'm just wondering: Is it me, or does it seem like most of the Christians have gone inactive? I see plenty of atheists still active, but the only Christians I see regularly responding are Aaron, Clare, and Moonwood. This forum will die if there aren't enough members on both sides to continue interesting discussion/debate.

Perhaps you should make a video about it. "Hi guys..."
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby searchengineguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:32 am

ArchLich wrote:I've been absent for a while. I'm just wondering: Is it me, or does it seem like most of the Christians have gone inactive? I see plenty of atheists still active, but the only Christians I see regularly responding are Aaron, Clare, and Moonwood. This forum will die if there aren't enough members on both sides to continue interesting discussion/debate.

Tim2 is a semi-apologist, does he count?
Frisbeetarianism: is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
- George Carlin.
searchengineguy

Affiliation: Strict Atheist

Postby marcuspnw » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:12 pm

The podcasts drew people to the forum and without any new ones being made, sometimes the experience is similar to watching paint dry.
Another day, another step closer to the answer. How many more steps do I have I wonder?
marcuspnw
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:18 pm

searchengineguy wrote:

Tim2 is a semi-apologist, does he count?

Yeah right, what about you, SEG. As I frequently comment, you talk about Jesus more than anyone here. Clearly there is some major spiritual influences going on in your life, bad and good I'm sure. You're practically addicted and obsessed with Jesus (be careful, you may just end up meeting Him). Just think if you wouldn't bring up the topics you do then you wouldn't have given the Truth all that space to be known. Your contribution to Christianity is to be noted. Thank you.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Affiliation: Christian

Postby searchengineguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:29 pm

No wuckers, Aaron. I DO love Jesus, he gives me lots of material. I fondly remember an old girlfriend that yelled out his name continuously while we thrashed in bed - but that's not the same thing, is it?
Frisbeetarianism: is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.
- George Carlin.
searchengineguy

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Aaron wrote:Yeah right, what about you, SEG. As I frequently comment, you talk about Jesus more than anyone here. Clearly there is some major spiritual influences going on in your life, bad and good I'm sure. You're practically addicted and obsessed with Jesus (be careful, you may just end up meeting Him). Just think if you wouldn't bring up the topics you do then you wouldn't have given the Truth all that space to be known. Your contribution to Christianity is to be noted. Thank you.

As has been noted numerous times, we atheists discuss this because of the influence of you theists and how we are no longer willing to sit silent while you slather your mythological book's rules and moralities all over everything.

9/11 was the Great Awakening. We atheists realized enough is enough. Religion's time is OVER whether you like it or not. You can have your beliefs, but you are now faced with an ever growing mass of people who no longer want your antiquated --and largely barbaric-- views dictating our lives, what we can believe, what we can say, who we can marry, and whether or not we can love whom we want.

What you call "addiction" only seems like it since atheists have been suffering silently for many many millennia, and now we're no longer willing to walk silently behind the royal carriage of privilege theists have wielded for centuries. That time is over.

And due to our willingness to speak up and be heard and no longer be intimidated, non-belief is growing ever larger. We don't care about your beliefs until they affect justice and decency and ethics, and then we put a stop to it. You're seeing the leading edge of that movement, as humanity is doing a huge qualitative leap of evolution right under your noses, in plain sight.

And yes, you're also seeing the huge backlash to it as the privileged are realizing their privilege is coming to a close, which is why the Christians in the US have the utter insane temerity to believe they are the single most discriminated-against group out there when they are not.

You know where that fear comes from? It comes from the privileged who know they have been taking advantage, and their victims are now coming to power of their own, and they are afraid their one-time victims will mistreat them, just like they've mistreated their one-time victims. "What goes around comes around" is what they fear.

But there are many who are better than theists. I just want a voice at the table; I don't need to chase away believers as long as they do the right and ethical thing. That's why, when they say shit like "Gay marriage ruins the sanctity of marriage" I confront them and remind them no one is forcing them to get "gay married", so stop being a dick about it. In time, their children's children will understand. It happens all the time.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:31 pm

I was talking about SEG, KTR.

I would say you are much more politically motivated than he is. And as far as politics go, I have numerous views that are opposed to your own, but I also am not trying to create a nation of "behaved" nonbelievers, it's in complete contradiction to my own beliefs about the gospel so I feel much of your campaign has nothing to do with me, but there is still this issue of voting on resolutions that I am not sure about, for example if I believe something is bad for our nation should I vote against it? It's a conundrum for me.

But what I'm much more interested in is preaching the gospel to the lost and hurting and create a "Christian" nation that way, from the bottom up, not that I want a "Christian" nation, individual people are always ends in themselves, but if a nation were to be called "Christian" I would only want it to be called that because most of the people in the nation were Christian by their own choice.

So by all means keep rallying the troops and I'll keep trying to bring a message of hope to anyone who will listen and is desperate for it (P.S. I'm always hoping for your salvation too! :D )

With that said you come across as very over dramatic, you have valid points, but it gets subtracted by your overdramaticism, that at least is how it goes for me, you may ask someone you trust is not afraid to be honest with you and see if it's something that could make your message easier to be received by others.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else" - C.S. Lewis
Aaron

Postby Keep The Reason » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:38 pm

Aaron wrote:I was talking about SEG, KTR.

I would bet a year's salary this same thing motivates SEG as well. He clearly wants Christianity where it belongs; in the dustbin of history, and I strongly suspect he wants it for the same reason most of us want it-- it's fucking up human progress and decency and fairness and freedom.

We also want the others to fade into history as well for the same reason, but most of us here are far more well-versed on Christian influences than we are on Hindu or Moslem ones, though those need to be outgrown as well.

And it's not some misplaced hatred, it's no different from wanting to see your child move on from believing in Santa and understanding the world as it truly is, so we can actually effect positive changes to make it better for everyone. You don't need to be politically motivated to want that. You merely need to be decent, and to be mature enough to recognize that religions do NOT want that-- they want some magical good v. evil battle to play out, with people taking sides, with winners and losers, and the "winners" are always those who agree with your side, while the losers are all those who disagree.

We need to outgrow that shit and I see SEG fighting that battle all the time in his own way; by weakening the platform of the belief system to help others see how false it is. And yes, even though he gets sidetracked (we all do) I'll wager what I've said here is his underlying motive.

Only he can answer that of course.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:45 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:Only he can answer that of course.

I'm sure he will.
Aaron

Postby Aaron » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:46 pm

This means though that you are much more than an atheist, you are a cultural purist. Right?
Aaron

Postby humanguy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:00 pm

Keep The Reason wrote:9/11 was the Great Awakening. We atheists realized enough is enough. Religion's time is OVER whether you like it or not.

See, I never got the notice in the mail that I was supposed to realize that enough is enough after 9/11. I don't know what you mean by enough is enough and religion's time is over, and I absolutely do not know what you mean by "we atheists."
Most of us, just about all of us, have the capacity to be rock and rolled by a feeling of pure ecstatic raw joy. You do, don't you? We should respect each other for that.
humanguy

Affiliation: Human

Postby searchengineguy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:12 am

Keep The Reason wrote:We need to outgrow that shit and I see SEG fighting that battle all the time in his own way; by weakening the platform of the belief system to help others see how false it is. And yes, even though he gets sidetracked (we all do) I'll wager what I've said here is his underlying motive.

Only he can answer that of course.

Absolutely that's my motive! I don't hate religion for the sake of it, I hate it for many reasons. I use mockery to show how ridiculous and false their doctrines are and how they hoodwink people like Aaron into believing that an invisible being is working in the background is like an imaginary friend controlling his life. I hate how intelligent people are sucked in by their churches to donate their hard earned money and have them think that it's going to people who are doing it hard, when most of it is just propping up and building the finances of their church itself.

I especially hate how people like Moonwood can't see how forced indoctrination of our youth into religion isn't a bad thing and should be encouraged to promote cultural diversity. I hate how much money time and effort in our short time on Earth is wasted following imaginary gods. I hate how our freedom is impeded by religious dogma that governments bow to and give concessions, using my tax dollars. In Australia over 30 billion dollars is wasted each year in lost land tax, income tax and other concessions given to religions that don't have to show much transparency about their finances, simply because we are supposed to trust them to be honest. I don't trust any of them and regard their holy books as propaganda vehicles to control the gullible. People like Tim O'Neill that reject religion but are convinced that parts of their fairy tale stories are true and are actually verifiable accounts steeped in history make me sick to the stomach.
- George Carlin.
searchengineguy

Postby captain howdy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:47 am

Yeah, we've actually been atheist-heavy for quite awhile now. It's more noticeable now that Mitch isn't here any more. I noticed an apologetics site called "Mama Bear Apologetics" and told them about this forum. I even told them how the Christians on this forum are badly outnumbered around here and how they could even things up a little, since they claim to be well-versed in apologetics. No response so far but then again it's only been a week. Their tagline is "Mess with our kids....and we'll demolish your arguments" under the picture of a pissed-off polar bear. Let's see what they got.
I must be getting paranoid. Everyone else sees Juggalos. I see Trump Youth
captain howdy

Affiliation: a-theist

Postby Aaron » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:57 am

humanguy wrote:
Keep The Reason wrote:9/11 was the Great Awakening. We atheists realized enough is enough. Religion's time is OVER whether you like it or not.

See, I never got the notice in the mail that I was supposed to realize that enough is enough after 9/11. I don't know what you mean by enough is enough and religion's time is over, and I absolutely do not know what you mean by "we atheists."

Yes, first it is to assume that to be atheist is to also be in unity with all other atheists, which I can't imagine is the case. But additionally and even more importantly it is to assume that to be atheist also means you have a desire for cultural purity, that is a very big assumption.
Aaron

Next

Return to General discussion