What does it mean for salvation to be a "gift from God?"

Christians, atheists, theists and skeptics: make your best case here.
Forum rules
Keep it real, minimal cutting and pasting please: we want to hear what YOU have to say!

What does it mean for salvation to be a "gift from God?"

Postby cleve » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:33 am

The word "gift" is an important word in the Bible. How do you interpret and understand its definition and implications?
Affiliated with no religious group. Most people label me as a dispensationalist (sometimes preceded with ultra-) .
cleve

Affiliation: Individual believer in Christ

Re: What does it mean for salvation to be a "gift from God?"

Postby Simplyme » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:53 am

What does it mean to be a god?
I find it rather amusing, when thought of as ignorant or stupid(though I can be on many subjects). Especially by those who believe in a deity up in heaven watching our every move, and rewarding or punishing us after we have expired.
Simplyme

Postby ArchLich » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:07 am

cleve wrote:The word "gift" is an important word in the Bible. How do you interpret and understand its definition and implications?

It's hard to answer this question, since it can't really be considered to be a gift. According to the bible, this god created a situation where humans needed "saving," and then offered a (ridiculous) way out. That is a gift in the same way as it would be if I gave you the combination code for disarming a bomb I planted in your house before locking you in it. If anything, it could only ever be considered this god's attempt at atoning for its actions against us, but even then it's skewed because of the continued existence of Hell, and continued enforcement of its ridiculously unfounded prohibitions/conditions for "salvation."
Knowledge is power, and is also limited to empirical perception. Irony.
ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Agnostic, Atheist

Postby captain howdy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:15 am

cleve wrote:The word "gift" is an important word in the Bible. How do you interpret and understand its definition and implications?

This really is one of the oddest things I've noticed about Christians: They're sooo grateful for the "gift" of salvation while being completely oblivious to the plain fact that the damnation they're escaping from is also a "gift" from god. I mean, why didn't god choose instead not to curse all humanity with the guilt of original sin in the first place? He wouldn't have had to crucify anybody that way. Think of it this way: If god hadn't allowed the serpent to enter the otherwise "good" garden in the first place, the wonderful "gift" of salvation wouldn't even have been necessary. But it was god that allowed the serpent into that garden, not Adam or Eve.

But who do you guys blame? Why, Adam and Eve, of course. It's weird....I don't get it.
I must be getting paranoid. Everyone else sees Juggalos. I see Trump Youth
captain howdy

Affiliation: a-theist

Postby ArchLich » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:24 am

captain howdy wrote:This really is one of the oddest things I've noticed about Christians: They're sooo grateful for the "gift" of salvation while being completely oblivious to the plain fact that the damnation they're escaping from is also a "gift" from god. I mean, why didn't god choose instead not to curse all humanity with the guilt of original sin in the first place? He wouldn't have had to crucify anybody that way. Think of it this way: If god hadn't allowed the serpent to enter the otherwise "good" garden in the first place, the wonderful "gift" of salvation wouldn't even have been necessary. But it was god that allowed the serpent into that garden, not Adam or Eve.

But who do you guys blame? Why, Adam and Eve, of course. It's weird....I don't get it.

It is indeed a rather simple concept that the Christian mindset simply doesn't allow them to see. Most Christians are normal people able to grasp at least basic concepts, just like everyone else, but when confronted with a concept that contradicts their Christian belief system, they will ignore basic concepts in order to preserve the supposed sanctity of their beliefs. It's classic delusion. I don't suppose I'd call it a mental illness, since mental illness implies a lack of choice, and most Christians very much choose to harbor this delusional thought process, but it does indeed mirror mental illness.
Knowledge is power, and is also limited to empirical perception. Irony.
ArchLich
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: Agnostic, Atheist

Postby Keep The Reason » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:16 am

captain howdy wrote:

This really is one of the oddest things I've noticed about Christians: They're sooo grateful for the "gift" of salvation while being completely oblivious to the plain fact that the damnation they're escaping from is also a "gift" from god. I mean, why didn't god choose instead not to curse all humanity with the guilt of original sin in the first place? He wouldn't have had to crucify anybody that way. Think of it this way: If god hadn't allowed the serpent to enter the otherwise "good" garden in the first place, the wonderful "gift" of salvation wouldn't even have been necessary. But it was god that allowed the serpent into that garden, not Adam or Eve.

Christianity has always been a solution to a problem it created itself. It's like a doctor who comes by with a hammer and a crutch. First he breaks your leg and then hands you the crutch so you can thank him for helping relieve your injury.
To cut some folks off at the pass, I don't advocate for violence, oppression, genocide, war, hatred or intolerance. Instead, I advocate for education, organization, activism, and the democratic process. ~~ KtR
Keep The Reason

Affiliation: Reasonist

Postby Tim-the-Hermit » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 am

If you're trying to sell something but nobody wants to buy it, tell them they need it to prevent something nasty happening.
Tim-the-Hermit
veteran
veteran

Affiliation: soft atheist

Return to General discussion