What is your theological background?

Into statistics? Curious what everyone else thinks? Then start a poll here.

Atheist
26%
Christian
54%
Muslim
No votes
Jewish
3%
Hindu
No votes
Buddhist
3%
Agnostic
9%
Other
6%

Total votes : 35

Postby koin4life » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:50 am

Sorry about the categories, it's early in the morning, and my brain doesn't really function until at least 7.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby Emery » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:42 am

Thanks, koin. I added a couple more categories. Thanks for starting the poll.

-Emery
Emery

Affiliation: Atheist

Postby koin4life » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:01 am

You are very welcome.
koin4life
veteran
veteran

Postby Slim » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:53 pm

I was born into a secular Christian family, and Christened at an early age, but I don't remember a time when I ever believed in a god.
Slim
recruit
recruit

Postby Paine » Wed May 16, 2007 4:49 pm

Evangelical Christian, borderline fundamentalist. Raised primarily in Thailand due to parents being missionaries, spoon-fed the Bible from the day I was born.
Paine
recruit
recruit

Postby Poemind » Wed May 16, 2007 6:20 pm

I'm the son of Salvation Army Officers. Some people don't realize that the S.A. is actually a church, but lo, it is. So I grew up at the church at least twice Sunday, once Wednesday and at every revival, youth meeting you name it.

For most of my first 15 years I didn't consider myself a atheist or a christian, - more of a don'tgiveadamnian. Then at age 15 I saw the 'light' of Jesus, and spent a year trying to make sense of the 'word'. I started to see so many conflicts and logical incongruities that my faith was tested. Then when my parents tried to basically use me as a mole to spy on my brothers, I recanted. I lived for about a year thinking I was doomed but just didn't care.

And then through various writings, I began to see the true light. That of personal volition. Hallelujah!
"My goal is to try to get people into a state of generalized agnosticism, not agnosticism about God alone, but agnosticism about everything."Robert Anton Wilson
Poemind
resident
resident

Postby Atheist37 » Thu May 17, 2007 12:09 am

My father had one commandment when I was growing up: Thou Shalt Be Worthy of Trust. Pretty much every other moral principle can be derived from that one simple axiom. My mother and father had no use for religion, and so for a long time I really didn't get it, that just about every other family accepts God as a given. As I grew up my parents encouraged me to find my own answers. At one point some friends convinced me that if I opened my heart to Jesus, said the "sinner's prayer", and read the Bible every day, that I would feel God come into my life. So I followed the recipe, excited and hopeful to experience the presence of God. I confessed my sins, asked for Jesus to make himself known to me, and started reading the Bible right from Genesis chapter one. I was probably 12 or 13 years old. Two weeks of hoping and praying, .... and nothing! So either there is no God or else he just really isn't interested in having that conversation with me!

Anyway, I've honored my father and my mother (Exodus 20:12) and sought out my own answers to the questions I have. And, thanks to modern science and work of some outstanding intellects, I believe I have arrived at some clear understandings. First and foremost: God is a fantasy of the human mind.
Atheist37

Affiliation: Atheist

Return to Polls